web analytics

Friday, April 12, 2013

The Twin

 Last night, over Fido coffee, I talked to Nathan about my art and how more and more I am beginning to notice that every piece I have ever painted has been a source of foreshadowing in the story that is my life. As we conversed, I described the significance of each of my pieces.
 A particular piece came to mind that I had [up until now] forgotten about. Today, it sits in my mom's shed--unfinished and lifeless [which is also incredibly symbolic].
  In 2010, I began this particular piece intending to give it to someone that I was deeply in love with. My original vision was the trees of northern Michigan in the fall. It slowly evolved into a piece that surrounded Robert Frost's famous poem "The Road Not Taken."
 I began the piece during a turbulent and divisive period in our relationship. Even during the painting of the piece we got into a volatile and toxic argument. Looking back, I believe that particular fight was the primary reason that I never returned to the piece. As I read over "The Road Not Taken," I am blown away by how symbolic it was that I chose that piece:


TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        

 And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        

 I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
       And that has made all the difference.         


Throughout the evening I began thinking more about divide and how it was symbolic throughout the relationship. Never had I met anyone so internally divided in my entire life. And I began to ponder on how his name literally means
"The Twin." 

Twin. 

An identical divide.
Two symmetrical roads 
Eternally diverging
In the
Yellow woods
Of 
Northern Michigan.


Now that's a type of foreshadowing
I'd never want to live by. 





No comments:

Post a Comment