web analytics

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"Flight"

"Parked, at last, 
On a dime that would never last,
I ran through the airport. 
Wild for love, I ran through the airport,
Stockings and skirts and dollars..."



In "Flight," Anne Sexton writes of the Boston Logan International Airport. 
For the sake of a cold, northern, corpse love-
 She dashes through the terminal in a futile attempt to
Change his mind. 

Sexton chases a dream that was never there;
It is arguable to say
Her "love" never existed at all. 


I live my life in a cold, Boston terminal. 
I am stockings. I am skirts. I am dollars. 
I am foam rollers, I am rouge lipstick, I am the shell of a woman
Who once had dignity. 

I live my life, longing for the melancholy 
Of a cold northern winter
Just to feel close
To...


Wading in glue. 
Outside an airport...

Knocking my dizzy head on street lamps
With nowhere else to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment